Digging Deeper Into the Roots of My Love For a Timely Classic: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

 Digging Deeper Into the Roots of My Love For a Timely Classic: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn


- by Steph *Spoiler Free


    To end off the start of a wonderful 6 day fall break, I’d like to introduce one of my most beloved books of all time—one full of both the struggles and magical wonder of growing up. Featuring: a witty, forced-to-grow-up-too-fast main character, a favored golden child, a weary mother determined for her children to have a better future than hers, a doting father with a great amount of charm but not enough luck, and a confident aunt that sometimes does more harm than good. Filled to the brim with a haunting yet compelling portrait of a poor family living in early 1900’s Brooklyn, New York, Betty Smith crafts a beautiful story of the charming but cruel duality of human nature—and the tart bittersweetness of life.


    I received a Tree Grows in Brooklyn the day of my 12th birthday. The moment I was given it, I eagerly snatched up the book and devoured it in a sitting. It was one of those books so enchanting, so luring, that to pull yourself away from it was to also wrench yourself out of the magic the author weaved onto you—the immersion into the vast world of the novel. Smith’s humbling, rambling narration simply guides a reader through the life of Frankie, the main character. I don’t think I will ever be able to fully express how deep my love and awe runs down for this book. Whenever I reminisce back onto this book, a mix of euphoria and nostalgia bursts into my mind, persuading me to reread this book just once more, once more, once more. (Oh what I would do for the experience of reading this book for the first time again.) 


    While the main character is a young girl named Frankie, and the story’s premise is following her journey into adulthood, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn offers much more than that. Smith applies the clever art of perception into her novel. We only see through Frankie’s point of view for much of the story, yet we watch it mature as she grows older, and her thoughts on earlier events change. Her child-induced optimism slopes down into a bitter realization as she approaches adult years, and I find this shift so fascinating to follow throughout the book. It’s not just Frankie’s narration, either. Throughout the novel, Smith teases us with glimpses of the story before the story, the background of a tale in itself. We learn not only of Frankie and her brother’s childhoods, but also the story of a young woman and a man falling into love, and grappling with the unseen consequences.    


     A Tree Grows in Brooklyn provides an intriguing outlook on encapsulating the essence of being human, and the complex, difficult answer of defining what it means to be a good person. While this novel’s plot may lack the excitement and enticing action or romance you desire, perhaps the simple slice-of-life snapshots will be enough to pull you over for a quick read.

Comments

  1. This book seems similar to If I Ever Get Out of Here, in the sense that both are a coming-of-age story. But, it is mainly an autobiography of some sort. You didn't give any summary of what happened but did enough that it was "enticing." I did a review on a favorite book of mine as well and I can see that you gave your feelings when typing this review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn has been recommended to me on multiple occasions, but its length has always stopped me from reading it. I love the way you described the novel's setting with careful detail and nuance. You wrote beautifully of you realization that Frankie's narration becomes increasingly bitter and less optimistic as she gets older. I'm definitely going to consider reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. STEPHENYYYYYYY you are such a good writer!!! I will admit I tried to read this book this summer, per my mothers recommendation, but just couldn't get into it and didn't finish. I am now motivated to try again! Great blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read a Tree Grows In Brooklyn before, and I agree with you; it's an incredibly raw, real, and beautiful story about someone overcoming the barriers they face growing up poor or without a name. Great review, and great job on fully encapsulating the emotions the novel elicits.

    ReplyDelete

  5. I knew of this book because it pops up a lot during Scholastic Bowl. In fact, my middle school Scholbowl teacher told us to read this novel. I never got around to doing it, but this review definitely convinced me to make sure to add it to my must-read list! I could also tell how much you loved this book. The blog was so well-written and fun to read. Great job Steph!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Stephanie! I've seen this book around before, but I've never had the chance to pick it up, although now I really want to. It seems like a beautiful story and one that I might enjoy. You're a very good writer, nice job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Last Goodbyes

American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang

Out Of Thin Air: Running Wisdom and Magic from Above the Clouds in Ethiopia by: Michael Crawley