The Girl in the Blue Coat by: Monica Hesse

    Living in Nazi occupied Holland during World War Two is tough. Supplies are scarce, soldiers and police are everywhere, and people are disappearing every day. That's where Hanneke comes in. Hanneke is 16 years old and Living in Amsterdam with her mom and dad. Her boyfriend died defending his country from the Nazi invaders, who took the entire country in just five days. However, she works an important job: Her parents think she delivers groceries to people living around Amsterdam, but she does a lot more than that. Under the normal groceries she carries are illegal items. She works as a black market dealer, bringing goods to people who need things that were banned by the Nazis.

    One day, during a normal delivery to a regular customer, she is asked to complete a task that is unimaginably difficult. Mrs. Janssen, one of her regular customers reveals a dangerous secret that threatens the life of both Mrs. Janssen and Hanneke: Mrs. Janssen has been hiding Mirjam, a Jew, but she has disappeared. Mrs. Janssen wants Hanneke to find her before the Nazis do. Hanneke does not want to do it, so she tries to run back home, but the next day she finds herself returning to Mrs. Janssen's house and she accepts the task. The only thing Hanneke knows about this missing girl is that she always wears a bright blue coat.

    I definitely enjoyed reading this book. I like how Hesse brings us a powerful message combined into a great story. The combination of historical fiction and mystery give you a whole new perspective on life in Nazi-occupied europe, and a not very well known country. She showed how doing what is right and helping others is not a decision made in your head, its made in your heart and soul. The story is gripping, with the suspense and action of chases through dark streets and unexpected surprises both good and bad. If you are a fan of historical fiction, then this book is a must-read. If you're not interested in historical fiction, I would still recommend this book for mystery fans and people who want to learn something new.

Overall, I'd give this book a 4/5, or a solid one michelin star.

Thanks for reading!

-Pieter


Comments

  1. Great review. This book seems really interesting. A girl in high school is an undercover dealer on the black market! You did a really good job of summarizing the plot in a clear and concise way. I also liked how you mentioned that the book is both a great historical fiction story as well as a good mystery story. I will definitely consider reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really well written! You did a great job summarizing the book while not giving away too many details. Your description and review of the book was great, although I would have liked to hear more about your thoughts and opinions. Overall, amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I personally have never been too interested in historical fictions, but this one sounds really interesting. My knowledge of the environment in Europe during WW2 is really limited. I am also a huge mystery fan, so this sounds like something I might really enjoy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quick and concise! This review was similar to a movie trailer. It didn't give too much but also provided enough to trigger interest. I've read a book about the Nazi's so I remember the rush given from the chaotic scene. I would definitely read this. You did a really good job on this book review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review Pieter! You clearly enjoyed this book, and it seems like something I would read. I will definitely check this book out. I like you gave a great plot summary without spoiling the book. I am intrigued by the idea of a teenage girl who is a black market dealer. Even though this book is fictional, it shows the willpower of the people during these dire times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds really cool! I've never really liked historical fiction, but I like the idea of an undercover dealer who brings people supplies during a time like that. It sounds a little angsty for my taste, but your review is starting to convince me a bit, maybe I'll read it sometime. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I think I've heard of this book before!! I'm not really one for historical fiction but this looks really interesting!! I don't think I'll read it too soon, but I definitely pick it up someday

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book sounds great! I love historical fiction, especially set during the world wars. I've never read this book, and I will definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great book review! I am a major fan of historical fiction novels thus when I was reading the summary, I was immediately interested. I'm also interested in the idea of an undercover black market dealer because I have read similar books where people were couriers, smuggling various items in and out of compounds. Overall I thought this was an awesome review and I look forward to reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like these types of books. The books where there is an "undercover" character that is hiding things from the people around them. It gives me a jolt of excitement when I read these types of books. And from the way you describe "The Girl in the Blue Coat," I think this might be one of them. I also like how you write everything. It is a short blog post containing all I need to know to start reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I usually don't read historical fiction , but this book sounds really interesting. Your summary definitely made me interested in reading this. Great review Pieter!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Last Goodbyes

American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang

Out Of Thin Air: Running Wisdom and Magic from Above the Clouds in Ethiopia by: Michael Crawley