The Baron in the Trees by Italo Calvino (Translated into English by Archibald Colquhoun)

 

    To be honest, When I started reading this book, I didn't know exactly what I was getting myself into. My mom recommended it to me when I was looking through a bunch of old books in my house. It looked interesting, but similar to other books that attempt to create a story set during the Napoleonic times and end up with 600 pages of boring. I would later find out that I was very wrong about that. Anyways, I thought the book might be okay so I read the back cover and decided to try it out.

    The story is basically about a young boy named Cosimo Piovasco di Rondo, who is the son of a baron and lives in a villa in the imaginary town of Ombrosa in Italy. He and his brother are both excellent tree climbers and spend a lot of their time climbing the trees in and around their property. However, Cosimo is fed up and dissatisfied with his life. One afternoon during a meal, while eating a plate of snails (which is what the family ate almost every day), Cosimo refuses to eat and gets in an argument with his father. He reaches his limit and runs out of the house and scrambles up a tree, never to come down again. As Cosimo grows older, he becomes a master of the trees. Gliding from branch to branch and jumping from tree to tree. He spends his time hunting and scavenging for his own food, making his own clothes and furniture, playing with people on the ground, and reading tons of books. He also writes about his life in the trees, creating "an Ideal State in the Trees" which get acknowledged by Diderot. He becomes famous and attracts people from far and wide into Ombrosa just to see him, even Napoleon stops by during his conquering of Italy. This book is packed with stories that create almost every emotion.

    An interesting thing I liked about this book was how the author writes this book as journal entries written by Cosimo's little brother Biaggio. Each chapter containing an important story of Cosimo's Coming of age from the stories Cosimo tells him and Biaggio's own accounts and witnesses. Many chapters are stories of Cosimo's relationships with people who are always killed at the end of the chapter. The final chapter where Biaggio talks about how his brother met his end is very sad but also extremely funny as he is desperate to not touch the ground. To give you the slightest hint, Cosimo's empty grave is inscribed: "Cosimo Piovasco di Rondo - Lived in the trees - Always loved earth - Went into sky."

This book packs so much into a 217 page novel. It is a relatively quick but extremely fun read that I recommend to anyone who might be interested in one of the greatest stories of defiance of all time.

-Pieter

 

Comments

  1. Wow! This sounds like such a unique book! I'm a bit surprised I haven't heard about it yet due to my interest in classics, I'll definitely be adding it to my reading list. Overall you did a wonderful job explaining the plot and characters, and it sounds like a very interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a really good book! The plot seems interesting and definitely unique. You did a great job depicting the story and explaining Cosimo's story with his life in the trees. I'll be sure to read this book as soon as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you discussed Cosimo's "coming of age!" I feel like that theme is present in many books but especially interesting in this one because, at least to me, this book sounds like it's trying to fulfill some sort of metaphor. I assume the author was trying to put across a message by making new characters die every chapter, so I'd definitely try to read this classic to see what message I get from it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm usually not interesting in books that are set in older times, as they usually feel too boring to focus on. But the way you describe this book actually inspires me to read it. It's only 200 pages which differs from the other books of the same genre I see and it is written in journal entries which I consider another plus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn, when you started the tree swinging act, I though this was a spinoff novel of Tarzan. This is so unique and weird, meeting Napoleon because of his famous persona of the man in the trees. I didn't know a book could have so many twists. Good book but I feel like I would get a migraine from imagining myself swinging through trees in my thought.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Last Goodbyes

American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang

Out Of Thin Air: Running Wisdom and Magic from Above the Clouds in Ethiopia by: Michael Crawley