I'm Feeling A Lot About: Tell Me Again How a Crush Should Feel by Sara Farizan

 Tell Me Again How a Crush Should Feel (it’s uhhh….you know… 🏳️‍🌈)

- by Stepheny

 


*Contains Major Spoilers


I’ve always been a sucker for your typical YA romance novel. So, in an attempt to diversify my reading taste…I read another YA romance novel. Well, kind of. 


Tell Me Again How a Crush Should Feel is Sara Farizan’s second novel, and a book I would definitely recommend. The novel’s main character is Leila, an Iranian American girl who attends Armstead Academy  and is hiding a big secret: she likes girls.  The main premise of the plot is the presence of a new girl at school: Saskia. Saskia is beautiful, confident, and bold. What else can Leila do but fall for her? 


Within that main plot, there are more subplots: Leila’s attempt at rekindling friendships, and her struggling relationships with her family. There are more, but I won’t go into all the details. When I first started reading the plot, I felt like I could already guess the basic plot. Leila likes Saskia, they get together, something dramatic happens in the climax in the book to break up their relationship, friendships are broken and remade, and somewhere in there Leila comes out to her parents. 


Suffice to say, I was pleasantly surprised.


 All of what I guessed prior technically happened in the plot. However, the main “twist” of this story was the romance. Instead of taking the typical route of Leila and Saskia falling in love, Farizan displayed an example of a toxic relationship. Their relationship wasn’t portrayed as “good” or romanticized like many love stories between teenagers seem to be. (Looking at you, Stephanie Meyers). It’s so important for the media to show examples of how these types of love are toxic, and aren’t normal, which is why I thought the relationship between Saskia and Leila was what made the book better. I loved that the author addressed Saskia’s damage to the main character, and didn’t shy away from pinpointing the problem within their relationship. Saskia was cruel at times, and it was made apparent to the readers. During the story, I started having this gut feeling about Saskia, especially through her confusing actions with Leila. Saskia would kiss Leila one day, only to cheat on her with a boy, stating they were just “experimenting”. However, Saskia would get extremely angry when Leila didn’t want to be around her, calling her offensive slurs while love bombing her the next day. At the end of the book, Leila realized Saskia’s abusive behaviors and ended up with an old childhood friend, who was much healthier for Leila’s wellbeing. Leila still has feelings for Saskia, even though she’s been hurt by the girl, something I’m glad the book addresses. An abusive partner, whether their abuse is verbal, physical, or emotional abuse, are often looked at by their victims through rose-tinted lenses. Even when Saskia is cruel to Leila, and Leila is furious, she still forgives Saskia, and at times doubts if Saskia is even doing anything wrong in the first place. 

Leila’s family—and her culture played a large role on her struggles with coming out as lesbian in the book. At family gatherings with her extended family members, Leila is jokingly asked questions about getting set up with a boyfriend, and marriage between a man and a woman with blood-related kids is heavily implied for Leila’s future. In one point of the book, Leila mentions about a cousin in her family that was gay. When he was accidentally outed, he was kicked out of his family’s house and ostracized by everyone. Even Leila wasn’t allowed to mention his name at all during the family gatherings. 


While I can’t relate to all of Leila’s problems, I can still relate (on a lower level) to the pressure of not being able to come out of the closet. It can be hard for older people, including parents (definitely including parents) to understand new types of sexuality or gender expressions, especially if they’ve grown up to believe being straight and cis is the norm. Societal norms of a marriage between a man and a woman have made it tricky to even come out as something different, in fear of rejection, hate, or even violence. 


I’m glad that books are finally showcasing LGBTQ+ relationships, and reminding everyone how much of a struggle there is in this community.  I know while I still have trouble with finding acceptance with my parents, I am very lucky to live in a place where it’s safe to be me. I wouldn’t get assaulted, murdered, or put in jail like other states or countries. Even Uni serves as a very accepting school, with the health curriculum including LGBTQ+ topics, the Spectrum club serving as a safe community, and my fellow friends and teachers. I’ve recently been hearing a lot about bills restricting discussion of LGBTQ+ topics, playing a sport, or getting the right medical treatment. It hurts. It hurts to realize that not everybody is as welcoming as the people I interact with on a daily basis. So finding LGBTQ+ books really helps. I hope that Tell Me Again How  A Crush Should Feel spreads awareness and acceptance, showing kids and adults alike that they aren’t alone. That being gay, trans or ace doesn’t have to be something to hide. That hetero relationships don’t have to be the norm. 


I went on a little longer than I expected. Anyways, I recommend reading this book (which will be available at the Uni Library once I return it) and I hope you have a wonderful day! :)


Comments

  1. AMAZING POST!! I love all of your queer book recommendations and I'm glad you ended off with another great book rec. It's so so important for there to be representation in Y/A novels, and it helps younger audiences feel more accepted and valid in their identities. This book sounds really interesting and I do find myself bored by clichés and repetitive plots. I also find this really interesting because it's just as important to acknowledge that not relationships are as glamourized as the books and media may present them. I think with queer relationships especially, many people want to jump in them as soon as possible when they have the opportunity. It seems it shows a realistic approach too, with the alienation from being part of the LGBTQ+ community and toxic relationships. I totally agree with you with that my friends and parts of the Uni community act as a safe space, and representation in media helps a ton. This sounds like an incredible, yet heartbreaking, book and I will definitely have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice descriptive blog post, Stepheny! I like how you made this book sound both interesting yet realistic and relatable at the same time. This book really seems like an informative story that tells of the struggles of everyday people, not just some ordinary romance novel. Looking forward to reading it in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great post Steph! I read this book last summer and I liked it a lot. Leila's story revolving her family was my favorite part. The toxic relationship aspect was something I hadn't seen portrayed in sapphic book but I am glad it was. I have seen some straight media use toxic gay relationships as a way to be homophobic and this angers me greatly. Nevertheless, you described this book perfectly and I am glad you also liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steph you are suuuper good at recommending these books!! The fact that there was such a twist in the book and it being the romance makes it a lot more interesting to me to be honest, and as the family pressure and non-mentions of queer family members is also something I can relate to, I have a feeling that I'll like this book a lot when I finally get to it<3

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was SUCH a good post! This book sounds like it brings up a lot of important themes, like coming out to an unsupportive family and being in a toxic relationship, that should be talked about more often. Too often books will overly-romanticize toxic relationships and its refreshing to see a novel that takes a more realistic approach. Overall, this is a great recommendation and post!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stepheny, your blog post is quite descriptive. I like how you made this book sound intriguing while yet being realistic and approachable. This book appears to be more of an enlightening account about normal people's hardships than a typical romance novel. I'm looking forward to reading it later and great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post steph!!! You made many great points and I totally agree with everything you mentioned. All the sapphic books i've read so far follow a plot similar to the one you were initially expecting, and I think its really important to bring light to toxic relationships of all kinds, so ill be sure to check this book out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go Steph! I saw you reading this book in the hallways, and I wondered what it was about. It sounds very intriguing, and it's interesting that the author portrays that relationship as a toxic one. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome post Steph!! You explained the plot really well and I like how you went into detail about how the relationship between the main character and her crush was toxic and that the novel didn't romanticize that. The fact that it isn't like a typical romance novel makes it sound like a pretty interesting book to read. Overall, great blog post!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You wrote a LOT. And that's great! I think you chose a good idea to write about because it describes examples in why the main character had a hard time in coming out of the closet to her family. Like, she wasn't even allowed to mention her gay cousins name?? That's scary!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Last Goodbyes

American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang

Out Of Thin Air: Running Wisdom and Magic from Above the Clouds in Ethiopia by: Michael Crawley