Last Goodbyes


Last Goodbyes

    After some thought, I decided to dedicate my last book blog to someone who meant a lot to me especially in the latter half of this year when I got to know her. It seems off-topic but as far as book-related things go, I think dedicating a post to my favorite librarian wouldn't be too bad. Here is my letter to Tori, the best librarian Uni has and will ever have.

To Tori: 

    I remember pretty well the first time I talked to you. I think I had seen you around before but never really knew who you were or why you were in the library so much. Ms.Arnold had called you over to watch our (quite stupid) PSA for computer literacy, and despite never having met you before I could immediately tell what a kind person you were. You laughed along at all our corny jokes and joyfully expressed how much you liked it afterward. This joyful energy you carry was one we would all quickly come to love and appreciate. Every other day when we would have our class in the library, we would all wait for the moment that you would walk through the door, wearing your fun vests and holding your iced coffee with copious amounts of sugar. You'd always come to say hi to us with your excited greetings, all of us overjoyed as if we hadn't seen you just 2 days before. With time, we would begin to call you over for the silliest of things just to get to talk to you for a while, as you never failed to have some entertaining story for us that day. Whether it was the prom you helped organize, your past Halloween costumes, or music recommendations, there was always something for us to excitingly chat about. Not only were you an amazing human being to be around, but you also excelled in your role as a librarian. Never short of book recommendations of any kind, you incited excitement around reading for all of us and made me pick up and read many books that I would never have even looked at twice. You did everything a librarian was meant to do and more. Looking beyond your job of simply checking out and shelving books but creating deep personal bonds with as many students as you possibly could. The library became a place we would all frequently visit both to see you and the wonderful books you recommended. Always making sure to have our input on books to request for the library you made the environment in general so much nicer and inclusive for all of us. I'm normally not the biggest fan of school events but the ones you organized never failed to prove that wrong. Although your creativity was nothing short of admirable I can't help but know deep down that without how amazing of a person you were, it just wouldn't have been the same. Knowing that you won't be here next year is definitely the most heartbreaking thing about leaving freshman year behind. You will always be my favorite librarian and I promise I will remember you forever. 

Thank you so much for all the great memories Swiftwind, I wish you the best and more in whatever comes next on your journey.

-Fabi


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang

Out Of Thin Air: Running Wisdom and Magic from Above the Clouds in Ethiopia by: Michael Crawley